I adapted this from an email circulating the interweb, entitled "Walmart vs. The Morons" (snopes...) (my contributions are highlighted):
- Americans spend $36,000,000 at Walmart every hour of every day.
- This works out to $20,928 profit every minute.
- Walmart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's day (march 17th) than target sells all year.
- Walmart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target +Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.
- Walmart employs 1. 6 million people, is the world's largest private employer, and most speak English.
- Walmart is the largest company in the history of the world.
- Walmart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.
- During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.
- Walmart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
- Walmart has approx.3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are super centers; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.
- This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Walmart stores. (earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)
- 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Walmart.
You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that maybe we should hire the guys who run Walmart to fix the economy. This should be read and understood by all Americans Democrats, Republicans, everyone! To president Obama and all 535 voting members of the legislature; it is now official that the majority of you are corrupt and ineffective. To wit,
- The U.S. Postal service was established in 1775. You have had 237 years to get it right and it is broke.
- Social security was established in 1935. You have had 77 years to get it right and it is broke.
- FannieMae was established in 1938. You have had 74 years to get it right and it is broke.
- The war on poverty started in 1964. You have had 48 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" and they only want more.
- Medicare and medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 47 years to get it right and they are broke.
- FreddieMac was established in 1970. You have had 42 years to get it right and it is broke.
- The department of energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 35 years to get it right and it is an abysmal failure.
The reason of course, is that these services are socialistic in nature, not privately run, profit-based enterprises. There is no incentive to become more efficient. In the private sektor, if an enterprise fails to fulfill its mission (i.e., make a profit), it goes broke and goes away. When a public program fails to fulfill its mission, you statists and 'progressives' constantly harp that you just need more money (which government can and will happily print if taxpayers won't cough it up – the resulting inflation is just a hidden tax). But more money will make you less efficient, not more. It has always been thus.
No, you have failed in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars. And you want Americans to believe you can be trusted with a government-run health care system?!
(Thank you Joan, for sending me this.)